Thursday, October 21, 2010

World Expo 2010 - Shanghai

We were lucky enough to be able to attend the 2010 World Expo in Shanghai last week.   It was very cool and HUGE.  We spent a good portion of the day there and did not see all of the grounds.  We were able to go in a few of the buildings.  However, many of the large pavilions had very long waits.  The USA pavilion had a 4-5 hour wait we were told.  Luckily, we were able to get in VIP since we were citizens.  This allowed us to go to the front of the line. 

The first thing you will notice is the number of people...about 1/2 million people visited the day we were there.  And it was raining and a week day!  I can't even imagine what it was like in the summer on a nice day on the weekend.  1/2 million people or not, it wasen't too bad since it is such a big place. 

Every country that I could think of had a pavilion.   Some of the smaller countries (for example...all those little islands, a bunch of the smaller African countries, plus a billion others that I had never heard of) were lumped together in very large buildings.  Another neat thing was that there was lots of food from different countries.  We had some shaved meat sandwhich that was great from a country that I had never heard of.  It reminded me of a pita...but the guy said it was chicken! 

I saw pavilions from Korea (DKR), Pakastan, Cuba (Roger had to go inside since he said he will never actually visit Cuba), plus every other country you can think of.

The craziest thing though, is that all these buildings will be removed...they were all just temporary except the China pavilion.

Just one of the entry gates...

Singapore and Maylaysa...


 Australia...

Thailand...

Portugal...


Belarus


Hungry...those are tubes of running water throughout the whole outside of the building

Cuba....not sure what Roger is buying???


Canada...


Mexico...it was underground


Germany????I can't remember

Dow was one of the USA pavilion big sponser



Algeria, Nigaria and Angoia


Our lunch fare...



Inside the African pavilian...

The Netherlands...


UK...


Italy...


1 comment: