Monday, May 30, 2011

Girl Scout Camp - Shanghai 2011

So, Abby and I attended Girl Scout Camp last weekend.  It was held at a ranch about 1.5 hours from our house outside of Shanghai.  It was a large place with a lot of "cabins", a big lake and lots and lots of wild animals.  It was definetly a Chinese camp and very different than any type of camp that I have visited in the US. 

Girl Scouts from all over Shanghai came to the camp (I think around 250 girls total).  The girls come only from International schools in Shanghia, however, they are from all over the world (US, Korea, Europe, China, and we even had a girl from South Africa in our group).  So, it was definetly a great experience and we met a bunch of new people that are outside of our  "bubble" here in Jinqiao Pudong.

Of course my camera died half way thru the trip, so my pictures are limited.  But I got a few to remember the unique experince that we had...


Abby and friend doing those hand saying type games...same idea, different words as when I was in school.


"Songs"...learning some new songs for campfire.


Craft time...


This was a bamboo boat ride...a bunch of bambo with lawn chairs (not secured down).



Abby's highlight was the horse ride...they went around in a circle but I think it was her first time on a horse.

There were animals everywhere.  At one point, a monkey escaped from "monkey island" with her baby and was getting ready to attack some girls trying to defend herself and her baby.  There were chickens walking around the entire rance, goats, all kids of different birds including beautiful peacocks, huge dogs in cages, camels, all kinds of farm animals, etc.


"SWAP time"


Doing the hand thing with a bunch of girls from our group.


And no camp is complete without a campfire and smores using the SMALLEST marshmellow sticks in all of China.


Okay...this is something that I dout happens in US...all of the groups wrote future wishes on Chinese laterns and they set them off.  It was neat to see the 40 or so float off in the night sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment